Friday, January 14, 2011

Let It Snow!


Did you know I've been living vicariously through you?  Yes, you there....the one with the snow. 

For those of us living in South Texas, snow seems very magical.  I'm picturing your kids coming in from making snow angels with little pink cheeks and noses. I dream of being bundled up in sweaters, scarves and coats with fur-trimmed (fake, or course) hoods. I can just see your family bursting in the front door to find a bubbling pot of chili on the stove and a fire in the fireplace.

{Yes, I've given this a little thought.}

So, these cookies are for you.  We don't wear many hats and mittens around here; we have to EAT them. ;)

These winter cap and mitten cookies are really simple to make.  What I love about using this "wet-on-wet" technique, is that you can make many different designs all at the same time.


To make them, you'll need....
{Right up front, I missed taking pictures of some of the steps....please forgive me.}

Using a #3 tip, outline cookies.  I used a #3 tip here rather than a #2 because I wanted the outline to really show.

Thin all colors with a bit of water until the icing is the consistency of a thick syrup.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit several minutes.

Uncover and stir gently with a rubber spatula to pop air bubbles that have risen to the surface.  Transfer icings to squeeze bottles.

Working 6-8 cookies at a time, fill in the main color and the white trim.  Use a toothpick to guide into edges.

Going back over the same cookies, add lines or dots with the other colors.

You can make dots.....


...or try marbling.

 
I thought dragging the toothpick ACROSS the lines made it look a little like cable knit.

Let dry overnight.

The next day, mix equal amounts meringue powder with water. (I used 1/2 tsp. each for 1 dozen cookies.)

Using a small paintbrush, paint on the mixture on the trim and top of cap.  Sprinkle on the sanding sugar over a coffee filter.  Let the excess fall onto the filter and use that as a funnel to put back in the bottle.

Is it snowing where you are?!?  Tell me the fun you are having! I want to hear ALL about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment