Thursday, December 2, 2010

Peppermint Candy Cookies & and a trip to . . .

You won't believe how easy these cookies are to make!!!


This cookie idea was inspired by stolen directly from Martha Stewart Living, December 2009.  Why I waited a whole year to make them, I'll never know.

**{update 11/9/11: it was brought to my attention today, that even though these cookies are IN the Martha magazine, they are the work of Danielle Boglivi-Fiori a stylist at The Martha Stewart Show and the founder of Sweet Dani B."   And here I thought Martha was toiling away in her kitchen.  So, just to be clear, I got them from Martha, Martha got them from Dani. }**
These peppermint candy cookies would be so cute for a cookie exchange, Christmas gifts, holiday open houses...anything, really.

To make them, you'll need:
    With a #2 or #3 tip, outline the candy and wrapper in light grey icing. (We're trying for a silvery look.) Reserve some of this icing for later.

    Thin the white and red icings with water, a bit at a time, until it is the consistency of thick syrup.  Cover with a damp dish towel and let sit several minutes.

    Stir gently with a rubber spatula and transfer icings to squeeze bottles.

    Working 6-8 cookies at a time, fill in the centers in white.  Use a toothpick to spread to edges and pop large air bubbles.
    While the icing is still wet, go back over the same cookies and draw a cross and an X in red icing. directly on top of the white icing.

    Drag a toothpick through the icing in 3 circles, going the same direction.




    Thin the grey icing as described above.
     
    Fill in the wrapper.
    Wait about 1 hour, then add the detail on the wrapper with the unthinned grey icing.

    Let dry overnight.
    The next day, brush the "wrapper" ends with dry luster dust, using a small paintbrush.  This will give the cookies a sheen, instead of an opaque silver look.

    Now...to the trip!

    If you're on twitter, I've been teasing a little about making a trip to "the happiest place on earth."  There's a reason that for the last two weeks, I've been singing:

    "Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you..."

    Saturday, I am going HERE to decorate cookies with some gals.  Did you click over?  HERE, I'm going HERE!!! 

    {Who wants to *squee* with me?!?}

    So, think of me Saturday, will you?  Send good thoughts so I won't forget how to decorate cookies, and that I don't faint, and that I remember to suck my stomach in.  OK?

    I am so, so, so excited!  {You might be able to tell by all of the all of the !!!}

    I'll be sure to report back from the land of butter, Wranglers and Ethel Merman! SQUEE!!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment